THE HEALTHY AND BEAUTIFUL YOU

A Guide to Healthy Eating, Exercising, Skin, Hair, Makeup, and Overall Beauty!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Eating Healthy and Working Out on a Budget

Hey Everyone! Hope ya’ll are doing well and that you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend! I have learned to write my posts in Word from now on because I was so close to finishing this post and it was deleted…so now I have to start all over!

I am sitting here really excited because my family should be arriving in about 30 minutes and they will all be staying with me and we'll be spending the whole weekend together! I am missing Michael though because he left for Argentina last night and will be there until Wednesday. He said he is learning Spanish fast! I guess he didn't need that Rosetta Stone... :p

This blog post is about my experience with eating healthy and working out on a tight budget. Especially with today’s economy, many people are trying to save money and usually the first thing to go is healthiness! I just want to let you know about some of the ways that I stay healthy while saving money.

First of all, I have recently become a major fan and advocate of couponing. Through couponing, I have been able to cut our grocery bill in half or more sometimes. Many people believe that you can only find coupons for unhealthy food items. And, while this is often the case, I have been able to find many coupons for healthy items like orange juice and many other kinds of juices, chicken, salad items, organic and almond milk, fruits, and yogurt. I get these coupons by buying a double pack of Sunday newspapers and then saving the coupons until these items go on sale at a grocery store. I then match the coupon up with either the store’s coupon for that item or just use the manufacturer’s coupon on the sale item. I have been able to get many of these items for less then a dollar by doing this.  Although I am not an expert, I am still learning and hope to become better at couponing in the future. In the last few weeks, I have taken a $43 grocery bill and only paid $11 dollars for it and at one store I saved $90 by couponing.

Second of all, I stay healthy, but also save money, by buying only the produce and meat that is listed on sale in the store’s circular. Produce and meat is often difficult to find coupons for so when I can’t find one, I just buy whatever fruit, vegetable, or meat that is on sale for that week, especially during Walmart's Rollback Days!

Third of all, I have discovered that you can send emails or letters to companies whose food you tend to frequently buy.  Many organic food companies or any company that you are interested in will send you coupons if you request them. Also, another way to find organic coupons is by going to http://www.organiccoupons.org or http://www.organicfoodcoupons.com .Let me know if you have any questions about this!

Finally, you can save money even when you workout. There are several ways to do this. First of all, you can find a local gym that offers discounted rates. The gym I go to costs $10 (or $20 if you plan to do the classes on top of using their equipment). This is a great deal and several, at least in the Atlanta area, are offering deals like this. Another way you can work out without breaking the bank is by working out at home by following workout videos on TV, YouTube, etc. You just need to be sure to push yourself even though the teacher can’t see you! Finally, we can all go for a run, hike, or walk outdoors without spending a dime… just be sure to drink plenty of water and push yourself to go a little further each time.

Well, thank ya’ll for listening! Let me know your thoughts on this post! I really appreciate your feedback!

Take Care and Happy Memorial Day,
Ariel


No comments:

Post a Comment